DoLS Assessors Conference
10th March 2017
Edge is pleased to announce that our next conference for DoLS Assessors will be held on 10th March 2017 at Inner Temple in London. The conference may be used as part of the annual refresher training for either BIAs or Mental Health Assessors and a certificate will be provided for each delegate according to their role. Scroll down to read more on speakers, what is included in the day, booking details and costs.
- Nageena Khalique QC In the case of Re AG  EWCOP 78, Sir James Munby, President of the Court of Protection said: " Ms Khalique submits, and I am inclined to agree, that the local authority acted unlawfully in removing AG from OG in November 2011 and placing her at HH without having first obtained judicial sanction. Local authorities must seek and obtain appropriate judicial authority before moving an incapacitous adult from their home into other accommodation. Local authorities do not themselves have power to do this."
This statement has intrigued a number of professionals in the field of DoLS in trying to understand the responsibilities on local authorities. Ms Khalique QC will be giving a presentation on this subject and the challenges in the difficult mix between safeguarding and DoLSNageena was a hospital dentist before being called to the Bar in 1994. Amongst her notable cases, she acted for the NHS Trust in the case of Patients at Rampton High Secure Hospital challenging the legality of the Trust’s smoke free policy and the government’s smoking ban under article 8 of the ECHR. (Note: pending appeal to the Supreme Court). Nageena also acted in the case of A LOCAL AUTHORITY V (1) MRS A (BY HER LITIGATION FRIEND THE OFFICIAL SOLICITOR) (2) MR A  EWHC 1549 (Fam) (Mr Justice Bodey). This case considered the test for mental capacity to decide whether to use contraception under s.1(3) of the Mental Capacity Act 2005.
- Alex Ruck Keene leading DoLS barrister of 39 Essex Chambers and an Edge trainer will provide a DoLS case law update and provide a brief recap on the work of the Law Commission. Alex has been involved in a significant number of highly influential Mental Capacity Act cases and is one of the authors of the Court of Protection Handbook.
- Steven Richards an Edge director, CQC Reviewer and co author of The DoLS Handbook will provide a 'news flash' on the latest DoLS news and statistics.
- Professor Clive Bowman, from the School of Health Sciences, City, University of London is one of the authors of the 2016 research paper into the use of antipsychotics in Care Homes. You can read the research entitled Antipsychotic prescribing in care homes before and after launch of a national dementia strategy: an observational study in English institutions over a 4-year period here. His talk will cover this research; the effects of such drugs on mental state and other 'perils of prescribing'.
- Aasya Mughal an Edge director, barrister and co author of The DoLS Handbook will chair the day and present a DoLS case study/quiz for delegates to test their knowledge and the chance to win a prize.
- Questions to the Speakers delegates will have the opportunity to put their questions to the speakers throughout the day.
- Learn the latest on DoLS related case law, news, research and the future of DoLS.
- Meet and network with fellow DoLS Assessors and other DoLS professionals from across England and Wales
- Get involved in the interactive parts of the day for your chance to win a prize.
- Take the opportunity to relax in the historical surroundings of legal London, learn and ask questions from experts in the field.
- Edge is committed to practical talks that aim to assist you in your work as a DoLS Assessor.
All conference materials and a certificate will also be provided.
Here is some feedback from our earlier DoLS conferences which sold out:
`‘Another Success for Edge! I found all excellent!'
‘Excellent day, highly credible speakers. Far better than other study days attended.’
‘Very well organised conference. Totally enjoyed the day.’
‘Very informative, interesting programme’
‘Very useful information about Cheshire West judgment. Good opportunity to meet other BIAs’
Central London (closest station, Temple)
£135 per person + VAT which includes conference papers, certificate, refreshments and lunch.
10% discount for groups of 10 or more in one booking.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email the above address or call 07341 277487
Book on Eventbrite using cards or Paypal: https://eventbrite.co.